Would you like to share the richly diverse history of the U.S. Latino experience with visitors from all over the world?
Then, join the volunteer team at the Molina Family Latino Gallery of the National Museum of the American Latino
Opportunities are posted throughout the year and available in the following areas:
Gallery Docents support the museum’s education vision of Experience, Learn, and Transform by providing highlights tours of the Molina Family Latino Gallery to intergenerational audiences, offering visitors a welcoming experience, and encouraging them to experience the gallery in multiple ways.
The GM Learning Lounge Volunteers facilitate activities at the Learning Lounge and assist with hands-on activities that engage visitors of multiple ages, from children to adults, to connect with the gallery content, people, and places.
Special Events and Office Support Volunteers support events logistics at the Molina Family Latino Gallery and other events organized by the National Museum of the American Latino at different locations of the Smithsonian Institution, within the Washington, DC area.
We currently don’t have any open volunteer opportunities available.
Please complete the following form, to receive a notification about future volunteer opportunities with the National Museum of the American Latino.
What does volunteering require?
- Must be able to pass a federal background check.
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
- Basic computer skills and access to a device with an Internet connection to participate in virtual trainings and enrichment opportunities.
- Attend volunteer orientation and complete additional content training relevant to the specific volunteer category. The orientation and training consist of online classroom modules, including reading material, videos, and short assignments.
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Ability to speak in public and talk to groups of 15-25 people.
- Have a strong interest in U.S. Latino history and a love for learning.
- Enjoy sharing the rich diverse history of the U.S. Latino experience to visitors of different age groups, backgrounds, and learning styles.
- Previous experience working with intergenerational families is recommended but not required.
- Have the ability to work in teams and provide excellent customer service.
- Fluency in Spanish is recommended but not required.
- Fluency in American Sign Language, helpful but not required.
- Applicant must commit to a minimum of one year.
How do I apply?
Covid-19 Safety Protocols
- The Smithsonian strongly recommends all staff and affiliated staff (including volunteers) to be vaccinated against Covid-19.
- Mandatory face coverings inside the museum.
- Covid-19 Safety Awareness Training
- Covid-19 Customer Service Training
*These protocols are subject to change.